The book can be ordered from Amazon UK or from any good bookseller.
Hilary Spurling is one of our leading biographers and as a friend of Powell's (and his choice of biographer) it is hardly surprising she has produced an enthralling and splendid volume: interesting and very readable with something fascinating on almost every page.
The vast majority of the reviews have been extremely complimentary – and in my judgement quite rightly so. For those who want to catch up on the reviews here's a list of those of which we are aware. [Note that some of these are hidden behind a paywall.]
- Hilary Spurling has herself written about the biography in the Times on 23 September.
- John Carey in the Sunday Times on 24 September.
- Claire Messud in the Guardian on 28 September.
- Lara Feigel in the Financial Times on 29 September.
- Philip Hensher in the Spectator on 30 September.
- Laura Freeman in the October issue of Standpoint magazine.
- Jeremy Treglown in the October issue of Literary Review.
- Robert McCrum in the Observer on 1 October.
- A parody review in Private Eye on 6 October (not online).
- DJ Taylor in the Times on 7 October (not online).
- Craig Brown in the Daily Mail on 7 October.
- Nicholas Shakespeare in the Daily Telegraph on 7 October (not online).
- Lucy Hughes-Hallett in New Statesman on 8 October.
- Kieran Fagan in th Irish Times on 14 October.
- Selina Hastings in the November issue of The Oldie.
Meanwhile if you're an Anthony Powell fan go and by the biography!
Updated 13/10/2017, Keith Marshall
Updated 14/10/2017, Keith Marshall
Updated 15/10/2017, Keith Marshall